Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Family Vacation Part 1

We had a great vacation the last two weeks.

We were planning on staying at Emily and Jeremy's home on Tuesday before we flew out of Harrisburg, but then on Monday Aaron went to the doctor and was diagnosed with strep throat.  On Tuesday I started running a fever and even though I wasn't positive on the quick strep test, the doctor prescribed me antibiotics too.  Since staying with family was out we made reservations as a motel near the airport that had a park-sleep-fly package (so we wouldn't have to pay for airport parking).  I thought that would be perfect since we would be close to the airport in the morning.  And it would have been - if our family slept well.  Caleb was up past 10:00 screaming, I tossed and turned all night and Aaron was up sometime after 1:30 am and never fell back asleep.  Then Adam woke up by 6:00 am and woke everyone else up too.  *Sigh*  I guess we could have slept at home and just gotten up early!

The flights were ok and the woman sitting next to Caleb on the flight was a grandma and a godsend.  She played with him and told me multiple times what a wonderful baby he was and how well he was doing - which was much appreciated, especially since I could tell he annoyed the passenger in front of us.  I hope some day I can help a young mother out like she helped me!

We had reserved a premium car at the car rental (5 seats with a little more room) and since they were out of premiums we got a minivan instead for the same price.  (About 1/3 of what a minivan would have cost).

Elaine had been complaining of a sore throat so before we visited anyone we made a stop to Urgent Care - thankfully she was negative for strep and was feeling better by that point!

We headed to Bethany's house and the kids were happy to see their cousins and to be done traveling.  One thing our kids enjoyed doing at their house was checking on, feeding, and looking for eggs from their chickens.




On Thursday we took the new train up to SLC with Catherine, Sarah, Bethany and their kids.  We had 5 adults and 17 kids in tow.  It was a little crazy but we made it.  We walked through Temple Square and then went and took a tour of the Conference Center.  The best part was the spirit we felt when Sarah bore her testimony of seeing the prophet there.  We did go on the roof but by that point I was hungry and tired (never a good combo for me) and we needed to go to catch the train back so we got the short version of the roof.  Pretty cool to see all the plants and trees up there.

Thursday evening was Bethany and Devin's ward temple night so Aaron and I went with them while Meagan and a friend watched their kids and ours.  The only hitch was that there were so many people there that we waited an hour to get into a session.  I guess I should be grateful that attendance was so good!  It worked out and we saw Sarah and Catherine there too.

Friday we went to Roy and Sharon's home to visit.  Our kids played with their Johnson cousins.  In the afternoon I went to visit Bekah and had a really nice time seeing Amy and Nathan and visiting with Bekah for 2.5 hrs.  I wish I could have stayed longer!  Then I picked up some Cafe` Rio on the way home - yummmm!

On Friday Aaron helped to put in a railing in his parents food storage room for a platform Roy had built. Saturday he spent most of the day over there working on the railing.

Devin was teaching some friends how to make cream puffs and I got to join in.  They were amazing!












In the afternoon Aaron picked us up and Caleb slept at his grandparents while I took Elaine, Adam, Katie and Brooklyn to the splash park in Spanish Fork.  The kids enjoyed splashing for a little while, but ended up having more fun at the playground.


 Then we headed up to South Jordan to meet up with some of Aaron's high school friends.  It was nice to see them but a sudden explosion of rain (really, quite the downpour) caused a hastier exit than originally anticipated.  Though it was time for us to go anyway!


No comments:

Post a Comment