Sunday, June 9, 2013

Some thoughts from this last week

This last week 6/2-6/9 was Elaine's last full week of kindergarten. She has been bringing home lots and lots of art projects and other papers.  I don't know that she really comprehends that she is almost done with this year - or maybe it just isn't emotional for her.  I don't recall ever feeling emotional at the end of the school year - just excited for the adventures ahead.  I feel a little sad I guess that her kindergarten year is almost done.  It's such a magical time and it means she is growing up and though it is exciting, it also is going faster than I expected.  On Friday Elaine's class had a summer birthday party to celebrate kids with summer birthdays and she loved that.  She also had a play date with a little girl from her class.  Elaine often asks to have friends over and I'm not great about coordinating that, partly because Adam wants to play with her when she gets home.

I have never had a cavity in my life until now.  On Tuesday I had four filled.  Yikes!  Honestly I had high levels of anxiety about the process from stories and jokes I've heard.  Luckily things went very smoothly and the numbing wasn't too bad and my fillings match my teeth so you can't even tell.  I contemplated rewarding myself with ice cream but decided maybe that wasn't prudent.  Tuesday evening Aaron and I watched Studio C which is on BYU TV and is one of our favorite shows.  (We really don't watch many so it's not hard to have a favorite, though we do think it is funny.)

Aaron is teaching finance 305 right now.  This is the second finance class for undergraduate students.  He loves teaching but this week has been filled with some frustration.  Some students are perplexed why they are failing even though they don't attend class.  *Sigh*  Aaron has less control over student attendance and overall accountability than he did when he taught ROTC but he says he still enjoys teaching.

Our garden is starting to grow and it is actually looking like a garden now and not just a weed patch, which is exciting.  This is largely due to Aaron's heroic efforts.  Our lettuce is producing enough that I haven't purchased lettuce at the store the last two weeks and we are hoping to not have to buy it for most if not all of the summer.  The rest of the plants will be ready in mid-late August, so we'll have to wait awhile.  Aaron built and installed a trellis for the cucumbers - apparently since they are vines they can grow vertically - so we are going to try that this year.

Poor Caleb has been sick most of the week with a cold but fortunately for me still is his happy self most of the time.

Adam is now proficient at putting on his own shoes and socks.  Hooray!

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe Nicci and Elaine will start 1st grade this fall. They are growing up so fast! I'm glad your garden is going well. Earlier today I put my boys in time out after they dug big holes in mine...:(

    ReplyDelete